A carbon footprint is the total amount of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused directly or indirectly by a company or organisation. A carbon footprint is usually calculated over a calendar or financial year and is expressed in equivalent tons of carbon dioxide (tCO2e).
Calculating your carbon footprint can be a challenging and complex project for an organisation to complete. It requires an organisation to:
- Identify the sources of their greenhouse gas emissions
- Collect the relevant emissions data
- Interpret this data
- and apply the correct emission factors
This process could take significant time, and requires someone in the company to have knowledge of the various carbon footprint methodologies to complete an accurate carbon footprint.
We support South Africa’s top organisation’s measure and monitor their carbon footprint.
GCX Carbon & Energy has many years of experience servicing some of South Africa’s largest organisations. We will quantify your carbon footprint based on The GHG Protocol, a robust international standard, used by most companies. This gives you an assurance that your GHG performance is measured and comparable anywhere in the world.
Our carbon footprint process has been refined over many years and is focussed on providing you with a valuable, and accurate account of your GHG emissions:
- Step 1 – We start by helping you set boundaries for your carbon footprint
- Step 2 – We then identify all of your emission sources within your boundary
- Step 3 – We authenticate the accuracy of your emissions data
- Step 4 – We calculate your carbon footprint according to internationally approved standards
Why is it important to do a carbon footprint?
Aside from the financial and reputational benefits of becoming a more responsible, resource efficient organisation, there are a number of important reasons to quantify your carbon footprint:
- It is a requirement for the National Greenhouse Gas Reporting Regulations (NGER) and used to determine your eligibility for Carbon Tax in South Africa
- The CDP (previously known as the Carbon Disclosure Project) is increasingly being used by the world’s most influential organisations to identify business opportunities and address climate risk.
- Carbon (and cost) Management – You can’t manage what you can’t measure. The first step towards managing and improving your GHG emissions and identifying cost savings, is by measuring your carbon footprint
Our Carbon Experts have many years of experience servicing some of South Africa’s largest organisations. If you’d like to know anything else about our Carbon Footprint Services please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 021 702 4058.